Saturday, February 25, 2012

Can you make a hard heart soft?

 47 Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. 48 He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o’clock in the morning[b] Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended to go past them, 49 but when they saw him walking on the water, they cried out in terror, thinking he was a ghost. 50 They were all terrified when they saw him.
   But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage! I am here![c] 51 Then he climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. They were totally amazed, 52 for they still didn’t understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in. (Mark 6:47-52)


I don't understand significance of miracles either. Rather, I don't understand why some people experience miracles, and others don't. Why does God heal some but not others, even when they both seem to pray the same?


I guess my heart is pretty hard, but I don't know how to change it (though, I do know the right answer is to let God change my heart). And even when I know the answer, I don't know how to go about doing it.


I don't want a hard heart. I don't want to be a doubter. I don't know why it's so hard to trust and have faith. 


I'm the skeptic, who wants to be the "on fire" for God believer. What won't let me?

 

2 comments:

  1. We lost our previous pastor to lung cancer which had spread to the brain and bone. He was diagnosed shortly after his 40th birthday celebration and went home to be with the Lord 5 months later. He was an inspired man of God with a heart for people and for the Lord. He left behind a lovely wife and 3 wonderful young boys (his wife was pregnant when he was diagnosed). Our church and so many others banded together in prayer and revival, and most of us truly believed that he would have a miraculous healing. Instead, God took him home. We were at first devastated and bewildered, as the motto of our church during this time was "We Choose Faith." Yet with time we realized that God did answer our prayers by giving him complete and perfect healing free of pain and sickness, by strengthening our faith and revival, and by leading so many souls to Him through our pastor's testimony. Faith is more a matter of obedience than of feelings or understanding, because we won't understand completely until we see Him in glory.
    Praying for you,
    Laurie
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Your words and your blog are encouraging and beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete