Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Working Homeless

I currently live in a 6x6 foot room with my husband. We share a twin size bed in a room that's smaller than the average cubicle. I live in this odd little contraption in my parent's rental.

There's no room for us. Only, on my tiny salary, we can't afford an apartment in or around the city (and I sincerely doubt my car would make it into the city if we lived in the "around" area). And they've decided they are going to move into a place where there is literally no room at all. We're being kicked out.

Unless something drastic happens, my husband and I WILL be homeless in a month.

And while I do know where all the homeless shelters are, the nature of my work makes it impossible for me to stay there (I wear quite the weapon on my hip... at least I'll be relatively "safe" in my car parked outside walmart).

I work full-time, but I can't afford an apartment in or around this city. Back when I had my job at the big-name home improvement store, there was a full-time worker there who lived in a shelter. We work. We work hard, but we can't find a place to lay our head at night. And I see people who've never worked a day in their life with free homes and giant television sets inside them. Where's his free house? Where's my affordable apartment? Where's my hole in the wall infested with roaches and rats? I can't even afford a place in a condemned building. (I'm serious on this one. The rent in buildings that will be need to torn down within a year's time is too high).

My husband can't find work and I'm not allowed to have a second job for the first 1.5 years of my job. So, we're left wondering where we're going to be.

I've been praying for peace. When will it get here?

Maybe it's because all I can seem to do is complain. I can't see any light. I can't see the way out. I've studied and worked so long and so hard, but still nothing gets better. I was once under the impression that hard work pays off; I know for a fact that now that is untrue.

It's not a tunnel with a light at the end, it's a cave that keeps going down.

No comments:

Post a Comment